The nursing/patient services at NCT include diverse occupational groups, such as nurses in general and nurses specialized in oncology; medical assistants; medical and general secretaries; and service and supply assistants. All group members work according to their expertise in the different NCT outpatient clinics and day care units. They all share a common objective: To ensure a smooth treatment procedure for all patients at NCT.
In the NCT building, patients from all oncologic departments of the Heidelberg University Hospital are threated on an outpatient and day care basis.
The main focus of the patient care in the day care units is the coordination of clinical trials and therapy schemes, from port puncture and infusion management to specialized aftercare and individualized counseling on care. This also includes naturopathic treatment methods.
Due to the intensive contact to the patients during their therapies, the nursing services function as a central point of contact at the interface between physicians, nurses, and counseling services at NCT.
Staff: day care units
Naturopathic patient care
Intesive care nurse
Intensive care nurse
Naturopathic patient care
Breast care nurse
Intensive care nurse
The Central Office for Patient Management is responsible for the organization of further diagnostics and treatment times in the day care units.
Staff: Central Office for Patient Management (ZPM) in the NCT day care units
Head of ZPM: Heike Wachow
Many cancer patients experience pain. Possible reasons are tumors itself or the results of therapy. Stressful situations additionally increase pain. You may reach out to our pain nurses personally or ask the nursing/patient services at NCT to get in touch with us. The pain counseling is located at day care unit 1 and 2 at NCT.
Who are we?
Healthcare nurses with additional training in algesiology assistance qualified according to the guidelines of the German Pain Society (Deutschen Schmerzgesellschaft e.V.), Pain Nurse (Pain experts in nursing).
What we do?
Pain anamnesis (How does the pain feel?:
- Taking record of location of pain, strength of pain, length of pain, quality of pain
Guidance and information in close cooperation with the physicians in charge of the day unit concerning:
- The intake of pain relievers in accordance with your current medication
- Handling of your pain relievers
- Non-medicinal measures to relieve pain
- Handling of pain with peripheral polyneuropathy, mucositis and others
Additional treatment options:
- Application of natural medicine
- Intake and handling of pain relievers
- Pain diary, pain recording
- Application of natural medicine (heat, cold, compresses and pads, inunction)
Providing contact with:
- Nursing experts
- Pain ambulance
Specialized outpatient palliative care
Our team consists of physicians and care staff with a special qualification in palliative care and has extensive experience in caring for severely ill patients. We assist in cases with complex, debilitating symptoms such as pain, breathing difficulties, anxiety, nausea, vomiting, and other issues which can severely impact your quality of life. We can provide care in your surroundings at home as well as in-patient care facilities. We provide care in the city of Heidelberg and the surrounding Rhein-Neckar area.
Coordination of the Palliative-Care-Team SAPHIR
Phone: +49 6221 56-35610
Fax: +49 6221 56-7203
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 – 15:00
Friday: 9:00 – 13:00
Cancer patients often have many questions about their therapy, possibly occurring side effects and coping strategies.
To meet this high information demand, oncology specialists from the two day care units at NCT offer their patients training courses. They are all nurses with additional qualifications in the field of oncology, palliative medicine, naturopathic care, wound and stoma care as well as many years of professional experience. The training is aimed at those with an oncological disease before, during or after a chemo- and / or radiotherapy.
Contact and registration: email@example.com
Venue: National Center for Tumor Diseases Heidelberg (NCT), Im Neuenheimer Feld 460, 69120 Heidelberg. The room is signposted.
Topics and dates:
The events take place every two weeks on Thursdays (at different times):
- Hand-foot syndrome & polyneuropathy: 21.02.2019, 14:00–15:00 Uhr
- Fatigue: 22.11.2018, 14:00 Uhr–15.00 Uhr und 07.02.2019, 15:15–16:15 Uhr
- Indigestion: 20.09.2018, 15:00–16:00 Uhr
- Handling of chemopumps: 13.12.2018, 14:00–15:00 Uhr
- Skin and nail changes: 11.10.2018, 14:00–15:00 Uhr und 21.03.2019, 14:00–15:00 Uhr
- Oral mucosal changes: 08.11.2018, 14:00–15:00 Uhr und 10.01.2019, 14:00–15:00 Uhr
- Nausea and vomiting: 25.10.2018, 14:30–15:30 Uhr
- Diabetes and cancer: 24.01.2019, 14:00–15:00 Uhr
- Stoma complications: 07.03.2019, 14:00–15:00 Uhr