- We are looking for candidates who wish to focus their careers on translational and clinical cancer research within the topic areas of the current call.
- Applicants must have a doctorate or PhD in a relevant field or provide evidence of equivalent academic achievement.
- Candidates should be at an early stage of their career.
Medical Scientists: up to five years after obtaining their PhD
Clinician Scientists: before the end of medical specialization (German: Facharztausbildung)
How to apply for a HSO² Fellowship
To apply for a position please use our online application portal.
To prepare your application, please compile all required information in one PDF document that you need to upload during the online application process:
- Curriculum vitae including list of publications
- Relevant certificates, e.g. doctorate or PhD certificate, medical license, etc.
- Letter of motivation (max. one page)
- Contact details of two references who are familiar with your work
Applications need to be submitted in English.
NCT HSO² Fellows with an excellent track record that are committed to pursue a career at the interface of translational cancer research and patient care will be selected via a competitive process:
Step 1: Application documents that meet the eligibility criteria will be evaluated by the NCT
HSO² Selection Committee consisting of external reviewers as well as principal investigators from DKFZ, UKHD, and the Medical Faculty of Heidelberg. We will then invite candidates who have successfully passed this first selection step for a visit to Heidelberg. Letters of invitation will be provided for visa application if necessary.
Step 2: An NCT HSO² Symposium (including interviews) will be held in Heidelberg. Applicants will have the opportunity to visit departments and investigators to discuss potential research projects. Thus, applicants are encouraged to get in contact with potential hosting groups (at DKFZ or UKHD that are involved with activities at the NCT Heidelberg) before the symposium. In addition, candidates will give a presentation to the NCT HSO² Selection Committee that should include a summary of their career paths and research background, a presentation of a previous research project or scientific publication, and an outline of their future career plans as well as their motivation to apply for an NCT HSO² Fellowship. Each presentation will be followed by a panel interview.
Step 3: Applicants will be informed about the outcome of the selection process shortly after the symposium. Fellowship positions should start no later than six months after the fellowship has been awarded.