The best way to fight cancer is to prevent it from developing at all. The NCT program area for Cancer Prevention, Early Detection and Outcomes uses novel epidemiologic and molecular techniques to investigate factors that determine cancer risk and cancer outcomes. The program develops new modalities for early detection and cancer prevention and evaluates population-wide programs for cancer screening.
NCT Cancer Prevention, Early Detection and Outcomes Program
The strategies employed in this research area focus on
- Identifying genetic, behavioral and environmental risk factors for cancer to develop tailored prevention strategies
- Conducting exposure and behavior intervention trials measuring specific biomarkers
- Evaluating physical activity, energy balance and metabolic syndrome in prevention, prognosis and treatment response
- Establishing and evaluating targeted smoking-cessation programs at NCT
- Developing new early-detection modalities in colorectal cancer, evaluate efficacy and cost-effectiveness